Hydration Part 1: Preparing a Sub-Q Bag


Since Simone gets sub-cutaneous fluids every day, I thought that it would be a good idea to show how this is done.  Of course, there are several demonstrations of this procedure on the web, e.g. http://www.fabcats.org/owners/kidney/subcutaneous/info.html.

When my vet's assistant showed me how to administer fluids, they used a demo cat that lived at the clinic.  They assured that the cat would not mind, and, as far as I could tell, it was rather unfazed by the procedure.  I thought to myself that I hoped that the cat didn't have to earn its keep that way.  After the demo, I thought, "Yeah, I can do this.  Looks easy."  When I tried it on Simone, the poor kitty had to endure my clumsiness and ineptitude, and she got overly poked the first few times.  Eventually, with continued practice, I got the hang of it, but there were times when the needle hit a muscle, poked through a fold a skin, or drew blood and I humbly asked Simone's forgiveness.  Occasionally, for some reason, I could not get a good insertion even after 3 tries, and I would give up until the next day.  The point is that, even after learning the technique of sub-Q injections, there are going to be some bad days.  Just hang in there.  Don't beat yourself up.  It will be better the next day.  Fortunately, I was blessed with an easy-going cat, so Simone rarely made a fuzz during my bungling times.  She is very forgiving.

The first part of administering sub-Q fluids is to prepare the bag and delivery pack.  I was hoping that the above video would clearly show this procedure, but it was a shoddy shooting job and the object of interest is sometimes off camera.  So, I will also verbally describe the procedure with some photographic illustrations.  As stated in an earlier blog, I use Lactated Ringers Solution (1 liter) and the delivery kit from Drs. Foster & Smith.
 

#1:  Rip open the outer bag containing the fluids bag and remove it.

#2:  Invert the fluids bag and remove the white, plastic plug.

#3:  Rip open the bag containing the delivery kit.


#4:  Close the thumb-wheel valve by turning the wheel towards the end of the delivery tube.


#5:  Remove the protective cover from the plastic spike at the upper end of the delivery tube.
#6:  Insert the spike into the bottom of the fluids bag.


#7:  Lift the fluids bag upright (no fluid should flow), and squeeze the clear, plastic tube until it half fills with fluid.
#8:  Hang the bag with the delivery tube in a convenient location for administering fluids.


#9:  Remove the cap at the end of the delivery tube and attach a sterile syringe.


That's it feline fanciers.  In the next post, I'll publish part 2 of hydration.  Purr on cat lovers!
 
"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.(Ernest Hemingway)

No comments:

Post a Comment