Hydration Part 2: Needling Simone


This will be a short post today.  Simone is experiencing some health issues right now ... more about that next week.

It's very important to keep a CRF cat hydrated to flush the kidneys of toxins.  I was lucky to have a cat that stayed calm, cool, and collected during the injection of fluids.  She rarely complained or struggled or ran away, even with my bungling efforts early on.  If you have a cat with CRF, don't be intimidated by this business.  I have no clinical experience, but it didn't take me long to get reasonably adept with the process.  Sure, there were times that I pushed the needle straight through her skin, punctured a vein (blood, yech!), failed to pushed the needle far enough in or pushed it too far in, or needed multiple insertions to get a stick that didn't leak.  Fortunately, these were rare incidents, but I did get frustrated ... some evenings I just gave up.  But that was okay because I'd bounce back the next day and skipping a day really didn't matter that much.  The important thing is to hang in there and stay persistent to provide the best chance for your CRF cat. 

The video above shows a typical sub-cutaneous fluid injection session with Simone.  It's not very instructive, but there are some good websites that explain the process with more clarity and detail.  Here are a few of them:

(pdf article)

(video)

(video)

(video)

(video)

(video)

That's all for today cat lovers.  In the next post, there will be an update on Simone's health.  Purr on cat lovers!

"I began to wonder why we cuddle some animals and put a fork in others.”  (Henry Spira)

No comments:

Post a Comment